PhD, LPC-S, RPT-S, NCC, CEIP-MH
Dr. Trotter specializes in counseling for children, adolescents and adults. Kay strives to help families feel happier and whole in body, mind and spirit. She has a successful private practice, Kaleidoscope Counseling, in Flower Mound, Texas. Dr. Trotter holds a doctoral degree from the University of North Texas where she studied and practiced Play Therapy at the UNT Child and Family Resource Clinic and Equine Assisted Counseling under the mentorship of Dr Cynthia Chandler. Kay’s passion is working with children and their families, but she also has extensive experience counseling individuals wrestling with abuse, trauma, grief (studied at The W.A.R.M Place grief support center for children), depression and emotional and behavioral disorders.
In addition to her private practice, Dr. Trotter is sought after by local and national media as an expert on a variety of topics, including parenting, internet addiction, bullying, post traumatic stress, and equine assisted counseling. She is a published author and has established a strong social media presence by providing an abundance of play therapy, parenting and animal assisted therapy resources for both professionals and laypersons.
University of North Texas Center for Play Therapy awarded Dr Trotter the designation of: Certified Child-Centered Play Therapy Level 3: Trainer/Educator and Certified Child Parent Relationship Therapy Advanced Practitioner/Supervisor Level 3
- Guest counseling educator at Midwestern State University 2016 Harlan Steph Counseling Conference, teaching 6-hour CEU’s to mental health professionals on: “Expressive Art Therapy in Action & Ethical Implications: Discover the transformative power of moving beyond words.
- Conducts Emotion Coaching – The Heart of Parenting Workshops.This program developed by Drs. John and Julie Gottman, teaches parents how to help kids become healthy, compassionate and moral adults more likely to make successful life choices. With this emotionally supportive foundation, parents will be much more successful at setting limits and problem solving. The better a parent is at emotion coaching with their children; the better parents can prepare them to become happy and healthy adults.
- Elected President-Elect to The North Texas Chapter of The Texas Association for Play Therapy. A division of The Association for Play Therapy, a national professional society established to promote and applying the therapeutic power of play to communicate with and treat clients, particularly children.
- Had the honor to presented Plugged-In and Tuned-Out: the Dangers of Internet Addiction to local civic and community organizations (Crossroad Bible Church, Bridlewood Elementary PTA, Metrocrest Moms of Multiples, Copple Early Childhood Association and LISD Greater Lewisville Early Childhood PTA.)
- Completed Theraplay® Level 1 an essential treatment modality for professionals who work with children and families who struggle with attachment issues.
- Completed Gottman Model Level 1 Couples Training – this training draws on extensive research that helps couples break through barriers to achieve greater understanding, connection and intimacy in their relationships.
Dr. Trotter is an avid organic gardener whose veggie and flower gardens provide her with a creative canvas to nurture her soul. She is a tree hugger and environmentalist who also enjoys refinishing furniture, cooking gourmet meals, and eating white bread, white rice and white potatoes. Kay also regularly plays softball and tennis with her husband, daughter and son-in law. She has been married for more than 25 years and is a member of The Village Church – Flower Mound. Kay also loves being a grandmother to toddler twins and infant sweet baby Piper.