of Dr. Trotter's JCMH article: “A Comparative Study of the Efficacy of Group Equine Assisted Counseling With At-Risk Children and Adolescents,” published in the Journal of Creativity in Mental Health™, a peer-review publication of the American Counseling Association (ACA).
Visit the Estore to Purchase...
Dr. Trotter's ground-breaking research "The Efficacy of Equine Assisted Group Counseling For At-Risk Youth and Adolescents"
EPIC's 12-week Treatment Manual for At-Risk Youth
Email Dr. Trotter for consulting information.
EPIC is working to create more clinical research that proves the value of using horses in therapeutic applications.
Equine Partners in Counseling (EPIC) is an leading the way to develop empirical research that clinically proves the value of using horses in therapeutic applications.
Through the use of Equine Assisted Counseling (EAC), mental health professionals can quickly and effectively establish rapport with clients, break through plateaus and significantly improve their clients’ positive social behaviors while decreasing negative social behaviors.
Even though there is increasing anecdotal evidence that EAC can facilitate desirable behavioral changes in clients, there is still too little clinical proof to make EAC a popular mainstream choice for licensed counselors and their clients. EPIC strives to change this.
The EPIC Efforts Include
- EPIC Research – Conducting studies and advising graduate students and other licensed counselors on clinical research trials utilizing equine partners.
- EPIC Consulting – Focusing on value enhancement and incorporating a customer-centered approach to both business and clinical issues, such as business operation, financial, and marketing functions, as well as the clinical elements of supervision-mentoring, ethical discussions, treatment planning and therapeutic considerations.
- EPIC Customized Trainings – Being retained by groups and universities to conduct on-site EPIC training tailored to their specific needs.
- EPIC Speaking Engagements – Addressing both clinical and mainstream audiences about the proven efficacy of Equine Assisted Counseling.
- EPIC Publishing – Continuing to produce and offer EPIC Treatment Manuals such as the 12-week Treatment Manual for At-Risk Youth that give counselors the guidelines they need to facilitate a comprehensive EPIC-style program.
"Our nation is experiencing a crisis in mental health for children and adolescents, with at least 10% of the population under the age of 18 suffering from symptoms severe enough to cause some level of impairment. In the not-too-distant future, I want Equine Assisted Counseling to be a commonly used counseling modality by mental health professionals across the nation, and around the world."
– Dr. Kay Sudekum Trotter
Founder, Equine Partners in Counseling (EPIC)